The Joy of Music School
Reports to: Executive Director
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Be the gatekeeper for a lobby at the entrance of an active after-school organization in its busiest times.
• Build relationships and maintain communication with students and their families regarding school activities, schedule changes, requirements, etc.
• Monitor volunteer and student enrollment, absences and tardiness
• Greet visitors, students and families with enthusiasm and a smile
• Assist executive director in administrative functions as assigned, including telephone, e-mail, fax, photocopying, digital photography, directing mail.
• Maintain and update bulletin boards and general appearance and holiday and seasonal décor in the reception area, with frequent, timely updates.
• Along with other staff, conduct interviews with families re interest, qualifications, instruments at home, transportation, lesson times. Explain policies on tardiness, practice, performance chart, performance exams, etc.
• Welcome families and sign in students and teachers
• With other staff, make timely phone calls in response to last-minute teacher and/or student cancellations
• Photograph, organize and maintain images of students, staff and board members, using FileMaker Pro database for student photos
• Distribute and collect student and family surveys and questionnaires periodically
• Administer the “Star Prize” system, recording stars, awarding prizes and tracking star accounts
• With other staff, welcome students and families, manage the parent/family waiting area
• Procure and manage process of birthday and holiday cards for students, board members, and selected donors
• Create, print, photocopy, post, mail, and file letters to donors acknowledging gifts in coordination with executive director.
• Distribute to families school guidelines, documents explaining student/family responsibilities and school operations manual
• Assist in maintaining communication with students and their families regarding activities, schedule changes, requirements, etc.
• Assist executive director in administrative functions, such as telephone, e-mail, fax, photocopying, photography, directing mail, postage, office organization and other duties as assigned.
• Procure and set up food and drink for guests touring the School, as well as for board and committee meetings.
• Help keep kitchen organized and tidy.
• Job requires from time to time, stooping, lifting, sometimes working on a step-ladder, carrying boxes.
Qualifications: The candidate must have excellent interpersonal, organizational and computer skills and be self-motivated. The candidate must be comfortable working with children and families of diverse ethnicities, and accomplishing work while multi-tasking. The candidate must be flexible, friendly, and responsive while acting as the face of the organization to hundreds of people through the week. Experience with database software (FileMaker Pro/Excel) is highly desirable. English-Spanish bilingual is desired, but not required.
Hours: Part time. The job will require staying Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday until 7:00 pm or later. Minimum of 20 hours per week. Friday is not regularly scheduled for work, but could be. Note: This position has two months off in the summer.
Salary: Hourly pay. Paid time off. No other benefits. Rate is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested applicants: Please do the following: 1. Send resume and cover letter. We are eager to find a good person who will make a great fit with our nonprofit work. In addition, 2. State in your email that you understand what this beloved organization does in the community. And 3. State how you would fit in with our mission. If you do the above three steps your email will be answered. We are a small staff (4 FT and 1 PT), so chemistry and attention to detail are key!
Please reply by e-mail only to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Joy of Music Youth Music School is an equal opportunity employer and promotes a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.