Administrator / Receptionist
Compensation: $12 – $14 per hour, depending on qualifications and experience
Employment type: part-time
Reports to: Executive Director
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Be the gatekeeper for the lobby at the entrance of an active after-school organization in its busiest times.
• Build relationships and maintain communication with students and their families regarding school activities, schedule changes, requirements, etc.
• Monitor volunteer and student enrollment, absences and tardiness
• Greet visitors, students and families with enthusiasm and a smile
• Assist executive director and program director in administrative functions as assigned, including telephone, e-mail, photocopying, photography, directing mail.
• Maintain and update bulletin boards and general appearance and holiday and seasonal décor in the reception area, with frequent, timely updates.
• Along with other staff, conduct interviews with families re interest, qualifications, instruments at home, transportation, lesson times. Explain policies on tardiness, practice, performance chart, performance exams, etc.
• Welcome families and sign in students and teachers
• With other staff, make timely phone calls in response to last-minute teacher and/or student cancellations
• Photograph, organize and maintain images of students, staff and board members, using FileMaker Pro database for student photos
• Distribute and collect student and family surveys and questionnaires periodically
• Administer the “Star Prize” system, recording stars, awarding prizes and tracking star accounts
• With other staff, welcome students and families, manage the parent/family waiting area
• Procure and manage process of birthday and holiday cards for students, board members, and selected donors
• Create, print, photocopy, post, mail, and file letters to donors acknowledging gifts in coordination with executive director.
• Distribute to families school guidelines, documents explaining student/family responsibilities and school operations manual.
• Assist in maintaining communication with students and their families regarding activities, schedule changes, requirements, etc.
• Procure and set up and clean up food and drink for guests touring the School, as well as for board and committee meetings.
• Help keep kitchen organized and tidy.
• Job requires from time to time, stooping, lifting, sometimes working on a step-ladder, carrying boxes.
Qualifications: The candidate must have excellent interpersonal, organizational and computer skills and be self-motivated. The candidate must be comfortable working with children and families of diverse ethnicities, and accomplishing work while multi-tasking. The candidate must be flexible, friendly, and responsive while acting as the face of the organization to hundreds of people through the week. Experience with database software (FileMaker Pro/Excel) is highly desirable. English-Spanish bilingual is desired, but not required.
Hours: Part time. The job will require staying Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday until 7:00 pm or later. Minimum of 20 hours per week. Friday is not regularly scheduled for work, but could be.
Salary: Hourly pay. Paid time off. No other benefits. Rate is $12 – $14 per hour, depending on qualifications and experience.
Interested applicants please do the following:
1. Email a resume and cover letter. We are eager to find a good person who will be a great fit with our nonprofit work.
2. State in your email that you understand what work this organization does in the community.
3. State how you see yourself as a fit in with our mission.
If you do the above three steps your email will be answered. If you fail to do these things, your email might not get a reply.
We are a small staff (4 FT and 1 PT), so chemistry and attention to detail are key! Sometimes it’s all hands on deck, so flexibility is important.
Please reply by e-mail only to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Joy of Music School is an equal opportunity employer and promotes a drug-free and smoke-free workplace.